When Should You Call a Mold Expert?
Every day, we are exposed to mold. Here in Florida, it's there in the food we eat, in our bathrooms, kitchens, cars, even the "fresh air" we breathe outside has it. However, quantity makes the poison when it comes to mold, and most of the mold you will run into outside is in an inactive spore state, and in such small quantities that you don't even notice it. The problems arise when that mold finds a way to colonize and establish itself in your home. There are many things you can do to prevent mold growth in your home, but if it does appear in your home, at what point should you call a certified expert in the field?
The Basics of Mold in the Home
Mold needs 3 things to establish itself; a food source, a comfortable temperature, and moisture. Because almost all buildings have organic-based construction products such as wood and drywall, the food source cannot be eliminated. However, temperature and humidity can be controlled to a certain extent.
There is a delicate balance in temperature and relative humidity that should be maintained to avoid bacterial, viral, or fungal growth. If conditions are too dry, viruses and bacteria will thrive, if conditions are too moist, fungi will grow. And they will grow on anything from the wall studs, drywall, roof trusses, laminate floor, or bathroom to name a few. However, you can protect yourself and your family by maintaining a careful temperature balance between 70-78 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 40-60%. This "sweet spot" can mitigate pathogenic growth in your home.
What Types of Mold are Dangerous?
While all molds in sufficient quantities and exposure can be hazardous, a few of the different types that are clear signs that you should call a mold assessor and have the problem remediated by a professional remediator are Stachybotrys Chartarum, Chaetomium, Fusarium, Trichderma, and Memnoniella. However, this should not be considered an exhaustive list. The CDC states that all molds should be treated the same with respect to health risks and removal, so if you suspect a hazard, our certified mold assessors and remediators are ready to help and answer any of your questions. Some symptoms of mold exposure are; a runny nose, itchy eyes, skin rash, throat discomfort, dizziness, nausea, chest congestion, and in the worst cases, coughing blood, or lung hemorrhage which can be life-threatening.
We Are Here to Help
We truly are here to help, mold is only one of the many possible indoor air quality issues that can be seen at home. With our several licenses, we are fully qualified to mitigate water damage to prevent mold in the first place. But if mold does proliferate, we are fully licensed to remediate any mold damage then build back to your exact specifications. Also, we can help you maximize your results from any insurance payout. Complete customer satisfaction is and will always be our ultimate goal.